Sunday, December 4, 2011

RSVP rant

One thing that really drives me nuts is when people RSVP for something and then don't show up.

I understand that things happen and sometimes you have to change plans at the last minute. But, the courteous thing to do is to let the host know once you find that you're no longer able to attend. Or if you can't beforehand, please send a message or something afterwards letting them know why you couldn't make it.

I was recently chosen to host a party in which I was given goody bags to hand out. I was provided with a set number of goodies, therefore I could only invite a certain number of guests. I made this very clear to the people I invited. I even confirmed attendance the night before the party. And I still had no shows! One week later and I still haven't received a message about why they didn't come.

I went through a lot of work setting things up and making snacks for all of the guests. A lot of food went to waste because of the no shows. Not to mention the other people that I couldn't invite (who really wanted to come) because I wouldn't have had enough gifts.

This also happened to us a couple months ago with my sons birthday party. It's so heartbreaking when your child is expecting all of his friends and then they don't show up or let you know that they can't make it. How do you explain to a 3 year old that you don't know where they are or why they aren't coming after you spent the whole week hyping it up? And many of the no shows were just complaining about how bad it felt when it happened to them. Then you know my pain! You know it sucks to be the host in that position! WHY would you turn around and do it to someone else?

Maybe I'm just old fashioned to believe in common courtesy. Maybe I'm just hopeful that there are still people who care about others. Maybe.....I don't know why I even try sometimes.

But, I'm an optimist and I'll just keep trying. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for listening. I feel a little better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment