Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Cloth Diapering Adventure ~ The Beginning

So, I have decided to give the whole cloth diapering thing a try.  I had always wanted to try it with my now 2 1/2 year old, but never did.  Now that I have a 5 week old at home I'm going to try.  Between trying to save a little money (ok, a LOT of money) and contribute less to the landfill, I'm really excited to try this. 

I have purchased some Gerber prefolds and some flatfold diapers to start with.  (Actually, I already had the flatfolds for craft projects.  I started making my own burp cloths and changing pads from flatfolds a few months ago and absolutely love them.  But more about those later!!)  I've been practicing folding them and letting her "try them out".  I like the origami fold for the flatfolds and think I've finally gotten the hang of it.  I tried a prefold on her, but it seemed WAY too big for right now.  Maybe to go in a cover or soaker it would be better, but not for folding and pinning just yet.  I don't have any covers yet, so I haven't been able to really start using them.  But, I think I'm going to like them!!

I am going to try to make my own covers.  I found a couple of free patterns online for wrap style covers that I'm going to make out of PUL.  And I've also found some patterns for knit & crochet soakers.  As soon as I pick the ones I am actually going to use, I will post links to the patterns. 

So, I guess it's time to get busy!!!  Keep checking back to see how my Cloth Diapering Adventure turns out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment